Roman Soilder Costume

At church we participated in a small dramatization of the Savior's life. I was asked to provide the costume for the Roman Centurion present at Christ's Crucifixion. (Mark 15:39)

I decided to give it a try 'on the cheap'.

Here's a Tutorial on How to make a Roman Solider or Centurion Costume...

First I gathered my materials:

1.5 yards of broadcloth in neutral color - tunic

1 yard red soft velvet like fabric - cape

Scraps of leather - belt, cape, and sword handle

Metal medallions - decorative on leather and helmet

Red feather package - plume

Cardboard, newspaper, spray paint - shield and helmet

Here's what I came up with, a n0 sew few day project.

I actually used my card making tools to pull this one off!

I cut my scraps of leather into long strips with my rotary cutter on a self-healing mat.

Then I used my eyelet hole punch and setter to make holes in the belt...

It sliced through the leather with no problem - then I knew this would be fun!

After setting eyelets (the regular kind for paper crafts) on the belt I laced it together so it would be adjustable and snug.

It looks pretty cool too! (Shown: toddler version)

I then attached additional strips of leather to the front of the belt with an brad (from the office supply store) through the metal medallion. So that the other strips would hang from the belt.

Here's an up close view of the Belt: toddler version...

Notice that each strip was cut with a point at each end. And that the toddler version has three strips and the adult version has five. I also added a circle of leather behind the middle medallion to give it a bit more detail...

The helmet and shield was made from paper-mache. A balloon inflated to fit inside the wears baseball cap. Then paper-mached to create the form (took 2 days to dry) trimmed to shape, and cardboard decorative pieces to front and top. Then spray painted silver. I added the feathers in between the corrugated parts of the card board they fit nice and tight. Then added another medallion to tie it all together.

The shield was the cardboard piece that comes from the bottom of the freschetta frozen pizza!

I taped another round cardboard on top of that and then a paper plate for dimension: Paper mach ed the whole thing and again with the spray paint. I poked a few brads evenly around in a circle to look like rivets. And hot glued a plastic star in the middle that I had laying around.On the back I just made loops for the arm with duck tape.

The Sword was made from a yard stake. I sawed the end off and nailed it as the cross piece. Then spray painted the end and wrapped the handle with scrap leather. Some of the children thought it was real!

I also made an arm cuff with more leather scraps - I added some snaps.

I found the fabric, medallions ($.10 a piece) and GENUINE LEATHER (by the pound) at SAS fabric all for really cheap!

The feathers and brads at Michael's

And spray paint at Lowe's.

Now you know how to make this costume or just borrow mine!

Linked to:


1 comment:

  1. YOu did a great job!

    BTW.. it is called the "header". You had it right!